Thursday, March 26, 2009

Running like Forest Gump- Standing by my Values



"i do" like to run.
It is officially unoffical that I entered the Nike Women’s Marathon run in October this year. It is entirely females and so awesome. My friend Chandra, who is also training for a marathon in San Diego at the end of May, talked me into it. It doesn't take much, and it went something like this:

Chandra: "Holly, hot sexy firemen give out Tiffany necklaces to the runners at the finishline"

Me: "Where do I sign up?"

Piece of cake! I am delighted to give you updates and all that on my event training. It should be fantastic. The last marathon I ran was the L.A. Marathon in 2006. I almost died. It was intense and due to a dear friend that signed me up. I adore him for doing that, but had some strong words for him at mile 19.

On the Official Nike Running Blog they have a FAQ for some fancy pants running chick (Sarah Reinertsen). Well I am no athlete nor "running chick" but I wanted to put her answers on my blog, all the same.


Nike elite athlete Sarah Reinertsen hanging out at the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco and was lucky enough to hear her thoughts on what the Nike Women’s Marathon means to her and what it’s like to be the first female above-knee amputee to complete the Ford Ironman World Championship (Yes, that’s a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run all in one swoop!). I knew I’d hear an inspiring story, but I didn’t realize she would have such great advice to share with all runners.

In 1993, when she was 17 years old, Sarah decided that she wanted to compete in the Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii. It took her 10 years to get on a bike but once she set her mind to it she wasn’t going to give up. She didn’t finish in her first attempt but when her family showed up the next year in Kona wearing t-shirts that said “unfinished business” she knew she wasn’t going to back down. She made history that day, as she became the first above-the-knee amputee to finish the race and says “completing the Ironman World Championship was so incredibly satisfying and gave me the greatest sense of accomplishment.” And today, she’s back out there trying to capture that feeling again while inspiring “more women to get out there.”


What is special about the Nike Women’s Marathon?

You never know what challenges these women had to overcome to get to the starting line. There are women out here who are cancer survivors. I’ve never run a women’s race as big as this.
What are your goals for the NWM race?To enjoy the course and the experience and running with all the other women. No time pressure. I might stop for Ghirardelli chocolate or a pedicure along the way!

What are your secrets to staying motivated?

1. Train with others. When you have an appointment to meet buddies you are less likely to snooze. Join a club like the NIKETOWN Run Club.

2. Run with music. I like using Nike+ and always having new music or a workout to run to. I bury my favorite song in the mix and know I have to run for an hour before I will get to it. I love Nike+ because it’s like having a little coach in your ear to keep you going.

3. Sign up for your next race now. It will give you an end goal.

Who inspires you?

Nickie Shapiro, a 71 year old woman who has completed 19 full distance triathlons. She started running marathons when she turned 45 and completed her first Ironman at 60.
What are your upcoming goals and life goals?To complete my 2nd Ironman World Championship in Kona next October and break 15 hours. It is humbling just to finish. I want to continue to be an ambassador and pioneer in sports. I would like to see more women in triathlons. Like Joan Benoit-Samuelson, I want to sit back some day and see the difference I made. Joan has to know that this race (NWM) is because of her influence in women’s running; she was part of that movement. I’d like to write a book about becoming whole through sports and my goal is that it becomes one of Oprah’s picks.

What is special about the Ford Ironman World Championship?

Childhood dreams go away - you may never get to the Olympics - but finishing an Ironman gives you that epic sports experience that you will never forget. It’s an extraordinary finish line for ordinary people.

What are the quotes you live by?

The pain is temporary but the memories last forever. Any great goal worth achieving takes sacrifice.

What is your PowerSong?

Hollywood. The live version. Techno is the best music to run to.

What is so great about running anyways?

The running community. It’s a lot of fun to connect with runners, they are cool people with good energy. It helps a lot of people manage stress and keep the pounds off. You can eat whatever you want!
I couldn't agree with Sarah more.
Lots of love and kisses,
Holly

No comments: