Friday, February 13, 2009

Wedding FAQ


Questions that you might have for a wedding photographer and the answers that will help you pick the right one (with a sense of humor.)
Here are some answers I put together for an eager bride getting married in November 2010. I wanted to help in any way I could to put her mind at ease that she was making the right choice. She has tons of time to plan, but kudos for picking photography to book before the venue!

How do you identify your primary photographic style?
Photo journalistic Photography and Non Wedding Wedding Photography (just ask me what that means, if you don't get it.) Most recently I have heard it described as Portrait Journalist.



Please describe any special techniques you offer:
I retouch any image that the couple requests, that includes puffy eyes, blemishes, and or in-laws.



Which lighting situations do you have experience with?
My experience covers all lighting situations. However my favorite lighting is anything that makes the couple look more in love.




Do you have a media preference?
I shoot entirely digital. It has come along way, and the prints are almost to par with film.




How many photographers do you work with?
My staff includes several talented photographers, each with their own talents and specialties, including fashion, sports, editorial and design. I choose the assistant according to the preference of the couple. Having an assistant ensures getting every moment, front to back. This moment my assistant shot, while I was standing outside next to her groom to get the photo of his jaw dropping.


Do you guarantee your presence at the actual event?
I do. :)


Do you sometimes book yourself for more than one wedding in a day?
My schedule verifies on demand. I have yet to shoot two weddings in one day. But I do shoot two in a weekend. I give each wedding 100% and I feel like I gain creativity with each and every wedding.




Do you have a replacement photographer in case you become unavailable on the wedding day?
It will never happen. I will show up, and there is no replacement for me.



What kind of equipment do you typically bring with you on the day-of?
I bring it all including the kitchen sink. I have three cameras, multiple lenses, and a lot of fun.



Do you bring back-up equipment to the event in case of malfunction?
Yes. I never want to worry about missing a moment because my camera wants to take a vacation.



Do you charge hourly or full day?
I charge custom, depending on the couple. On the most part it is 6 or 8 hours of coverage. All the images from the day are included and there is no charge of negatives.



If hourly, are you available for shooting overtime? If so, how much do you charge for overtime?
It is $350 for each hour.



Do you require a meal break? If yes, do you require that the wedding party provide your meal?
A girl needs to eat. So unless you want me running off during your wedding to go get some chicken nuggets, I prefer to eat a meal at the reception. I am not a picky eater so anything will do.





Do you charge for travel?
Not typically, but if it further than 50 miles, I usually ask for gas money.



How soon after the event are the proofs ready for viewing?
I like to get images ready after the couple comes back from the honeymoon. Give me about 10 days to receive the DVD.



In what format are the initial proofs offered?
I provide a preview on my website in the Gallery for the couple to share with the friends and family.



How long can the couple keep the proofs?
As long as they stayed married. So FOREVER.



Do you retain the copyright for the photos?
I retain artist rights, and I release copyrights to the couple. They can print and reproduce images as they wish. I use the images for promotional, website and advertising purposes only. If a couple requests not to participate, I respect their privacy.



Do you reserve the right to publish the photos?
Yes.



Do you provide the digital files and/or negatives (or copies of the negatives) to the couple?
I provide the couple with all the images taken on their day. If they want an additional shoot, "Morning After" I am delighted to do that upon request.



Will images be available for viewing on an online gallery?
Highlights of the wedding images will be online at www.cakesandkisses.com within the week of the wedding.



What kind of albums do you offer?
I offer reallllly nice albums, or crappy prints books. It depends on the budget of the couple.




When will I get the final book?
If a couple orders a book, it will depend on how quickly they return the proofs and let me know what images they would like to use. After that date it is a month.



If I haven't answered your question, please email me and I will answer it promptly. If you have any smart remarks to my FAQ section, you can keep those to yourself. (no you can email me those too. steenholly@gmail.com)





La vita e bella; la vita e amore. -- Life is beautiful; life is love.



Featured on Wedding Chicks

No comments: